top of page

Brighton Rock Singer Gerry McGhee Dies After Lengthy Battle With Cancer

Brighton Rock has released the following statement regarding the death of vocalist Gerry McGhee

On behalf of Brighton Rock, Stevie Skreebs:

In the beginning, we started this band to fulfill a Dream We shared together, along the way we grew into a Family, A True Band of Brothers.

On Tuesday, August 25 2020 our singer Gerry McGhee was sadly taken from us. In Gerry’s final days He wanted to express His Thanks and Gratitude to everyone whoever worked with Brighton Rock, and to all of Our Fans who helped us Fulfill Our dreams.

On behalf of Greg, John, Mark, and Myself, Brighton Rock will never again take the stage together, Gerry Your spirit will live on forever.

Thanks for the memories and for Rocking us all, with All of Our Love Gerry, RIP

About Brighton Rock:

It all began with a dream, back in 1982 two Niagara Falls musicians, guitarist Greg Fraser and bassist Stevie Skreebs joined forces to form a new project called Heart Attack. After many various personal changes, Fraser and Skreebs had finally found the frontman they had been looking for in Gerry McGhee who had formerly been singing in a Hamilton based band The Rockers, he was looking for a new band and the rest is history. The trio began working together and received instant recognition from WEA records once their song “Breaking Down The Barricade” was chosen for the Q107 Homegrown album in 1984.

The band was completed when drummer Mark Cavarzan and keyboardist Martin Victor joined the band. The band changed their name to Brighton Rock , then released a self titled Ep on their own label, Flying Fist records. Soon to follow was the band’s debut album, Young Wild and Free (produced by Michael Wagner), it was released throughout the world on WEA Records. Just as the band was preparing for their world tour another personnel change was needed, out was Martin Victor as he was replaced by John Rogers.

The band hit the road with the success of their first single “We Came to Rock,” soon to be followed by the ballad “Can’t Wait for the Night.” After a successful debut tour the band retreated to the studio to record their second album, Take A Deep Breath (produced by Jack Richardson). The next tour began taking the band over to England, on the strength of the first two singles,” One More Try” and”Hangin High and Dry,” the album was soon to be certified gold in Canada. The band toured for the next year and then prepared for their third album. As the band began writing tunes for the next album, John Rogers departed from the band. Instead of hiring another keyboard player, the band went for a heavier guitar sounding album and Love Machine was born. The band co-produced with Toby Wright , hired Greg Boileau as a rhythm guitarist and once again hit the road. After a grueling tour the band decided to part ways and officially break up. Here we are ten years later and guess what, Brighton Rock is back with their original lineup and things could not be better. After recording a few live shows the band released “A Room For Five Live” in May of 2002 on Z-Records. In 2006 a greatest hits package was released titled The Essentials. In January 2007, Fraser and Skreebs formed a new project known as Fraze Gang. Their Self-titled album came out in early 2008 and Fraze Gang 2 album was released in 2012.

Recent Posts


bottom of page