MOTÖRHEAD Announces Deluxe Reissues of 'Overkill' And 'Bomber'
After several years of planning, MOTÖRHEAD and BMG have announced the start of an exciting, extensive and detailed ultra-fan-friendly release programme spanning the band's career from the '70s, '80s, 90s, and beyond.
Kicking things off with the "Motörhead '79" campaign, it celebrates the 40th anniversary of the incredible "Overkill" and "Bomber" albums with fantastic new deluxe editions, both as hardbound bookpacks in two CD and triple LP format.
The releases feature previously unheard concerts from the '79 tours, interviews and many unseen photos. Also, the '79 campaign will see the release of the spectacular ultimate fan / collectors "1979" box set.
All three of these releases have been created with the full cooperation and involvement of the estates of Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, "Fast" Eddie Clarke and Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor.
The "1979" box set contains:
* Both the original "Overkill" and "Bomber" albums half-speed mastered and pressed on 180-gram vinyl created from the original master tapes * Two double-live albums of previously unheard concert material from the '79 tours * A 40-page period-accurate "music magazine" featuring unseen photos and fresh interviews regarding the era * "The Rest Of '79" vinyl, featuring B-sides, outtakes and rare tracks
* "No Class" seven-inch single with gatefold art * The "Bomber" tour program * "Overkill" sheet music book * '79 badge set * All encased in black biker jacket box
By going through the band's extensive private archives, to receiving the assistance of key people who were part of their '79 circle of friends, crew, and accomplices — as well as consulting with super fans — all parties are immensely proud to show the level of detail and commitment which has gone into all three of the '79 releases, and which will continue with future projects. It was always Lemmy's demand to give the fans the very best possible in every respect, we believe we have achieved that with these reissues.
A further element of the '79 box-set release is to offer Motörfans new, old and in-betweenish the full scope and context of how life was when these classics were being created. 1979 was a seismic year for many reasons, and both "Overkill" and "Bomber" were written, recorded and toured against a Great Britain dealing with strikes, Margaret Thatcher, football hooliganism plus BUGGLES and the BEE GEES.
And on March 9, 1979, millions of unsuspecting viewers tuned into the BBC's "Top Of The Pops" to witness the loudest, most raucous, dangerous and downright exciting band on earth perform the title track of their album "Overkill".
A hybrid of punk, rock and heavy metal played with relentless, ear-curdling power, MOTÖRHEAD was a force of nature propelled by bassist and vocalist Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clarke and drummer Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor.
The alchemy between these three outrageous and utterly immortal men was nothing short of life-changing for millions, and all three shared a wonderful "mad band of brothers" approach to life and music; there was no 'off' switch and they became legends as a result. "Overkill" and "Bomber" are icons, brain-damagingly brilliant to the nth degree, and their enormous influence still reverberates through all genres of music to this day.
Box set track listing
01. Overkill 02. Stay Clean 03. (I Won't) Pay Your Price 04. I'll Be Your Sister 05. Capricorn
01. No Class 02. Damage Case 03. Tear Ya Down 04. Metropolis 05. Limb From Limb
01. Dead Men Tell No Tales 02. Lawman 03. Sweet Revenge 04. Sharpshooter 05. Poison
01. Stone Dead Forever 02. All The Aces 03. Step Down 04. Talking Head 05. Bomber
Good N'Loud - Live At Friars, Aylesbury on March 31, 1979
01. Overkill 02. Stay Clean 03. Keep Us On The Road 04. No Class 05. Leaving Here
01. Iron Horse / Born To Lose 02. Metropolis 03. The Watcher 04. Damage Case
01. (I Won't) Pay Your Price 02. Capricorn 03. Too Late, Too Late 04. I'll Be Your Sister
01. I'm Your Witchdoctor 02. Train Kept A-Rollin' 03. Limb From Limb 04. White Line Fever 05. Motörhead
Sharpshooter - Live At la Rotunde, Le Mans on November 3, 1979
01. Overkill 02. Stay Clean 03. No Class 04. Metropolis
01. All The Aces 02. Dead Men Tell No Tales 03. I'll Be Your Sister 04. Lawman 05. Too Late, Too Late
01. Poison 02. (I Won't) Pay Your Price 03. Sharpshooter 04. Capricorn 05. Train Kept A-Rollin'
01. Bomber 02. Limb From Limb 03. White Line Fever 04. Motörhead
The Rest Of '79
01. Too Late, Too Late ("Overkill" 7" B-Side) 02. Like A Nightmare (Alternative version of No Class B-Side) 03. Over The Top ("Bomber" 7" B-Side) 04. Stone Dead Forever (Alternative Version) 05. Sharpshooter (Alternative Version)
01. Bomber (Alternative Version) 02. Step Down (Alternative Version) 03. Fun On The Farm ("Bomber" Outtake) 04. Treat Me Nice ("Bomber" Outtake) 05. You Ain't Gonna Live Forever ("Bomber" Outtake)
No Class 7"
01. No Class
01. Like A Nightmare